|  Facebook   |  LinkedIn

Crime Stats Simplified

Latest News

<<< Return to Latest News

The shocking reality. Missing Children

Published on 2012-07-05

Since the initiation of official statistics in 1994 over 900 of the children reported missing in South Africa, have not been recovered.

A child goes missing every six hours in South Africa, according to figures released by the South African Police Service Missing Persons Bureau. This adds up to a total of 1460 children per year. Fortunately, according to Missing Children South Africa’s statistics, more than 87% of them are found within the first week. Sadly, this still leaves us with at least 13% of the children not being located.

Trafficking in children is a global problem affecting large numbers of children. According to UNICEF and World Concern some estimates have as many as 1.2 million children begin trafficked every year. “Children and their families are often unaware of the dangers of trafficking, believing that better employment and lives lie in other countries.” (http://www.unicef.org/protection/index_exploitation.html and http://www.worldconcern.org/StopTrafficking/)

The reality is shocking and undeniable – there is a tremendous demand for children to be traded into forced (cheap) labour or for sexual exploitation.

It can happen to your child!!!!